-Lack of Sleep & Fat Gain
The human brain is the most complex thing on earth. Really though, comment something more complex, I actually want to hear other opinions!
That being said, the brain can have major implications in our body composition. How so you might ask? Well, obviously there are regions associated w/ hormone secretion which can effect a number of things but I want to take a special look today at the amygdala. The amygdala plays a vital role in hunger. When someone is sleep deprived (hours or less) brain scans indicate an increase in amygdala activity & decrease in frontal cortex activity (the frontal cortex plays a vital role in our ability to say “No, I shouldn’t eat that”)
So when it comes to stacking the deck in our favor for fat loss, we need to get our brain on board. This is why it’s critical that we understand the ENTIRE picture. Not only does sleep effect performance in the gym, testosterone, growth hormone, cortisol, & much more — It also plays a vital role in managing will power by balancing the activity of different brain regions. Why do you think we often make such poor decisions when we are sleep deprived?
It is for this reason I use BIOFEEDBACK measurements in my coaching. I ask all my clients: How are you sleeping? How is your stress? Digestion? Hydration? Recovery? Desire to train? ETC. WHY? Because that’s the biggest part of getting results.
Here are some of my favorite hacks for increasing sleep:
- Magnesium (200-400 mg/night)
- Tart Cherry Juice (4-6 oz. pre bed)
- Reishi Mushroom (pre sleep)
- Blue Vervain (Herbs are legit)
- Vitamin D (Make sure your getting enough)
- Cannabis (If it’s legal where you live, don’t break the law!)Be sure to follow me on Facebook and IG for more FREE advice on reaching your goals. Feeling stuck? Don’t know if you’re on the right path? You can apply for a FREE coaching call at www.kaylimontoyafitness.weebly.com. It’s absolutely free with no obligations. I am here to help!